How to Manage your Migraines: Part 2
The most successful migraine management strategies are often a combination of lifestyle modifications, medication and complementary therapies such as Osteopathy. It’s important to note that approximately 50% of people with migraines have not been diagnosed, and even those who have already been diagnosed by their doctor may need to try several different strategies to find the most successful management plan for their migraines.
At East Gippsland Osteopathic Clinic we strongly believe in assessing our patients holistically, and we can assist you in identifying and minimizing the most likely factors contributing to your migraines, whether it’s your posture, a previous injury, or lifestyle factors.
The following is a list of the most commonly recommended management strategies for those suffering from migraines. Which we would recommend in conjunction with osteopathic treatment:
- Keep a migraine diary, this can help you isolate triggers, and then make lifestyle changes to best avoid or limit their influence. For further information regarding common triggers we strongly recommend heading over to Headache Australia.
- Visit your GP specifically to discuss your migraines – they can help make sure you’re receiving the correct treatment, and rule out any other potential causes for your symptoms. We recommend you click here and fill out this questionnaire for your GP to read before your appointment.
- Medications – either pain-relieving or migraine-specific can also help with the management or prevention of migraines. Please speak to your GP to discuss which medication would best suit your needs.
- Non Medication Therapies – such as osteopathy, physiotherapy, acupuncture, exclusion diets, yoga, meditation, relaxation, herbal or homeopathic remedies.
- Try lifestyle modifications. I.e. improve your diet (you can try things like reducing caffeine/ alcohol intake, or making sure you eat regular meals), exercise regularly, decrease stress levels, improve the quality of your sleep, decrease exposure to bright lights/screens or strong smells etc.
- If you need further help we recommend getting in touch with your GP, a neurologist or Headache Australia: (Tel) 1300 886 660
If you have any further questions or concerns regarding migraines, make an appointment at one of our East Gippsland Osteopathic Clinics and we will do our best to alleviate your pain and get you on the path to better health as soon as possible. Click here to book your appointment